This online course is designed for rehabilitation professionals who have completed Modern Management of the Older Adult: Essential Foundations and are looking for a deep-dive into specific, yet common, clinical populations.
Take a deep dive into exploring misconceptions and laying out a clear, current best evidence pathway to enable our older adults to not only survive but to thrive. A special emphasis is placed on progressive functional fitness in this population.
- 8 weeks long - 2 hours/week commitment
- Lifetime access to course & online community
- Weekly assignments & video conference calls
- Video conference calls take place every Thursday at 8pm EST & are optional but encouraged. They are recorded & can be viewed later if unable to attend.
- Our online courses require active participation to be awarded credit which may include reading, homework assignments, and quizzes. We do not allow students to “drop back” to preceding cohorts due to inability to complete work assigned except under extraordinary circumstances. ICE faculty have the final decision in allowing a “drop back” but students are only allowed one “drop back” per course. Failure to complete the course on your 2nd attempt will not yield CEU credit. All courses allow for a 7 day grace period after course conclusion to receive CEU credit.
* = Online Discussion That Week
Week 0 (Course State Date)
- Course Orientation
- Balance Assessments & Interventions
Week 2 *
Parkinson’s Disease/Multiple Sclerosis/Cerebrovascular Accidents
Exercise programs for Parkinson’s Disease
Upper extremity push/pull exercise programming
Week 4 *
Osteoporosis: assessment and exercise considerations
Urinary incontinence in older adults
Exercise considerations & strategies
Week 6 *
Cardiac rehabilitation & cardiopulmonary response to exercise
The Masters Athlete
Exercise programming for master’s athletes
Week 8 *
Marketing to Baby Boomers
Building off the material of MMOA: Essential Foundations, students will be able to:
- Craft effective plans of care in the presence of complex medical cases of orthopedic, neurological, & cardiovascular conditions.
- Accommodate for special considerations such as different types of urinary incontinence, different balance deficits, osteoporosis, and osteoarthritis.
- Effectively manage Masters & Senior Athletes to maximize performance & minimize time away from sport.
- Market themselves to this growing, often untapped, population.
After this 8 week online course, clinicians will be able to problem solve through challenging clinical situations and be prepared to optimize care as efficiently as possible for the complex older adult.
The Institute of Clinical Excellence is an AOTA Approved Provider of professional development. Course approval ID# 03093. This Distance Learning-Interactive course is offered at 16 CEUs for OT Service Delivery & Foundational Knowledge. AOTA does not endorse specific course content, products, or clinical procedures.