Understanding BMD in females across the lifespan, Planet Fitness hooking up teens everywhere with free memberships, and more coming at you in this week’s Hump Day Hustling! Enjoy, and if you want to dive deeper with ICE Physio check out our Upcoming Course Dates and Locations
Bone Mineral Density
Women’s journey across the lifespan
This was a REALLY cool open access scoping review that highlighted big fluctuations in bone health during women’s lives. We see peak bone density happens in late teens/early 20s, pregnancy and lactating cause a TRANSIENT dip in bone health that seems to recover by 18 months postpartum, and menopause causes a big increase in fracture risk for each decade of life. The article includes lots of great graphs to help drive these points home, definitely take a look!
Key Take Away ; this is why women NEED to prioritize bone loading … especially in low estrogen states (postpartum and menopause)
Free memberships for teens this summer!
Planet fitness isn’t perfect, but how amazing is it that they are giving teens a free pass to workout all summer! As activity rates decline and obesity rates escalate in our nation’s youth this is an incredible initiative that we want to get behind. Please consider blasting out this link to your communities so parents can get their kiddos organized and on a pathway to more movement this summer break!
Ideas for implementation
So you finally got that reverse hyper and are ready to make your low back resilient but not sure how to dose the movement? This is a cool IG series from Alex Trotter who spent some time in the gym with the infamous Louis Simmons breaking down how to program weight and volume based off an athletes back squat. Happy loading!
Physical Activity Treats Depression
An overview of systematic reviews
1039 different trials
This open access review paper is robust, and their conclusion is as simple as it is beautiful: “Physical activity is highly beneficial for improving symptoms of depression, anxiety and distress across a wide range of adult populations, including the general population, people with diagnosed mental health disorders and people with chronic disease. Physical activity should be a mainstay approach in the management of depression, anxiety and psychological distress.”
Please shout this from every corner of your social media. People struggling with mental health need to know the incredible power of physical activity!!
Online booking that you (and your patients) will love
Spend less time playing phone tag and more time treating your patients with Jane’s intuitive and user-friendly online booking. Patients can easily book and manage their appointments at their convenience through a secure patient portal.
And with Jane’s PCI-compliant payment solution, Jane Payments, you can collect patients’ credit card information through an intake form or at the time of booking when you implement an Online Booking Payment Policy. A great way to help reduce no-shows in your practice.
If you’re curious to learn more, you can head to jane.app/physicaltherapy to explore Jane’s helpful features. Use the code ICEPT1MO for a 1-month grace period on your new Jane account.
Did you miss any of our ICE Physio podcasts last week? Well here you go!
Monday: “Keep that sh*t moving: Bowel basics” (April Dominick)
Tuesday: “Be the guinea pig” (Zac Morgan)
Wednesday: “Tackling pre-frailty” (Christina Prevett)
Thursday: “Leadership Q&A” (Jeff Moore)
Friday: “Meals on whells: Fueling for the bike” (Matt Koester)
Thank You! – ICE Faculty
Upcoming In-Person Courses
- May 20-21: Professional Bike Fit (Bellingham, WA)
- May 20-21: Older Adult LIVE (Scottsdale, AZ)
- May 20-21: Fitness Athlete LIVE (Sudbury, MA)
- May 20-21: Fitness Athlete LIVE (Rockville, MD)
- May 20-21: Dry Needling: Upper Body (Fenton, MI)
- May 20-21: Older Adult LIVE (Simi Valley, CA)
- May 20-21: Older Adult: LIVE (Charlotte, NC)
- May 20-21: Cervical Spine (Fort Worth, TX)
- May 20-21: Extremity Management (Hendersonville, TN)
- June 2-4: Dry Needling Upper Body (Roswell, GA)
- June 3-4: Lumbar Spine (Charlotte, NC)
- June 3-4: Lumbar Spine (Casper, WY)
- June 3-4: Pregnancy & Postpartum LIVE (Hendersonville, TN)
Upcoming Online Courses
- May 9th: Rehabilitation of the Injured Runner
- June 5th: Primary Care PT
- June 5th: Persistent Pain Management
- June 5th: Fitness Athlete: Essential Foundations
- June 5th: Brick by Brick: Launching Your Practice
- August 9th: Older Adult: Essential Foundations
- September 17th: Fitness Athlete: Advanced Concepts
- October 12th: Older Adult: Advanced Concepts
📢 On Virtual ICE next week we’ll be chatting “Keys to treating extension intolerant LBP” with ICE faculty Miller Armstrong! Not in our virtual mentorship program? Find out how to enroll and learn more HERE