New tendinopathy concept, fresh ICE faculty publication, and much more! Enjoy this week’s Hump Day Hustle and if you want to learn with ICE Physio in 2022 or 2023 check out our Upcoming Dates and Locations for courses online and near you!
Pregnancy & Postpartum
Congrats to ICE faculty & lead author Christina Prevett!
“Impact of heavy resistance training on pregnancy and postpartum health outcomes”
In this cross sectional survey Prevett et al showed that women CAN and DO lift heavy during their pregnancies, and those that did were NOT at increased risk for adverse fetal or maternal birth outcomes!!! Share the good news!
Exploring the role of intratendinous pressure
Intratendinous pressure isn’t something we’ve really discussed much to date. The authors in this new BMJ publication put forward that it may be relevant that the tendon swells in the early onset, and that the resultant compression may contribute to symptoms and a pathological cascade. We certainly look forward to tracking emerging research along these lines. Regarding immediate treatment considerations, reducing compressive load and progressing tensile load may be the way to go for rehab!
Pain and Cardiovascular Disease
A potential link
This makes sense to us as pain is a stressor, thus chronic pain is chronic stress, and chronic stress is a risk factor for cardiovascular disease. However, it’s fascinating to see this laid out plainly in such a large data set (nearly a half million folks). The authors in this publication explored the variables of pain duration and widespreadness (pain free folks served as controls) with incidence of cardiovascular event. Conclusion: “Chronic pain is associated with an increased risk for myocardial infarction, stroke, heart failure and cardiovascular death independent of established cardiovascular risk factors, socioeconomic factors, co-morbidities and medication”
The wonder drug that keeps impressing
For its’ next trick, exercise will now become a fountain of youth. While big pharma is peddling their side effect laden products, exercise be out here doing it all while reversing cellular aging.
“Exercise Counters the Age-Related Accumulation of Senescent Cells”
Pregnancy and Postpartum Take ✌️
Alexis and Christina rock the mic
All sorts of great questions get answered in this podcast collab with the crew over at Prehab!
✅ How can women best take care of their mental health during pregnancy?
✅ Is it safe to exercise during pregnancy
✅ What is energy deficiency syndrome
And much more!
Did you miss any of our ICE Physio podcasts last week? Well here you go!
Monday: “When we see leaking in oly lifting and how to fix it” (Christina Prevett)
Tuesday: “FAI and squatting” (Lindsey Hughey)
Wednesday: “Will Home Health fix my burnout?” (Julie Brauer)
Thursday: “Say the thing” (Jeff Moore)
Friday: “Meds as a risk factor for stress fractures” (Jason Lunden)
Thank You! – ICE Faculty
Upcoming In-Person Courses
- November 12-13: Fitness Athlete LIVE (Baton Rouge, LA)
- November 12-13: Fitness Athlete LIVE (Bellingham, WA)
- November 12-13: Extremity Management (Ames, IA)
- November 12-13: Older Adult LIVE (St. Mary’s, GA)
- November 12-13: Older Adult LIVE (Oshkosh, WI)
- November 19-20: Rehab of the Injured Runner (Golden, CO)
- November 19-20: Cervical Spine (Glencoe, MD)
- November 19-20: Fitness Athlete Pregnancy & Postpartum (Concord, NC)
- November 19-20: Extremity Management (Candler, NC)
Upcoming Online Courses
- November 7th: Clinical Management of the Fitness Athlete: Essential Foundations (LAST COHORT UNTIL MARCH 2023!)
- January 3rd: Rehab of the Injured Runner
- January 4th: Older Adult: Essential Foundations
- January 9th: Primary Care Physical Therapy
- January 9th: Persistent Pain Comprehensive Management
- January 9th: Fitness Athlete: Pregnancy and Postpartum
- January 12th: Older Adult: Advanced Concepts
📢 On Virtual ICE next week we’ve got “Post dry needling loading strategies” with ICE Faculty Paul Killoran! Not in our virtual mentorship program? Find out how to enroll and learn more HERE